Kale Swiss Roll
Swiss rolls are much loved sponge cakes that everyone is familiar with. But have to ever tried a Kale Swiss Roll? We never thought this was possible until our good friend @dorisgohz gave it a go. This ingenious idea was a stroke of genius and her kale swiss roll came out a beautiful vibrant all natural green and subtle kale flavours. What better than a kale swiss roll to impress your friends and family this Christmas. Get baking now!
Total bake time: 1.5hrs
Level of difficulty: Easy
Ingredients for kale swiss roll
- 40g of Sustenir Kinky Kale (without the stalks)
- 25g of fresh milk
- 3 egg yolks & 3 egg whites
- 20g cooking oil
- 75g of sugar
- 55g of cake flour
- 100g of whipped cream or any of your other favourite flavoured filling.
- Boil 40g of kale for 1 min and blend it with 25g of milk until it becomes a puree. Set it aside and start on the cake.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Whisk the 3 egg yolks and 25g of sugar until the mixture becomes pale. Add in the oil and kale puree and mix well.
- Fold in the flour until everything combines.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the 3 egg whites until they become foam and add in 50g of sugar. Whisk until the mixture is stiff.
- Pour 1/3 of egg white mixture into the egg yolk-flour mixture and mix well. Then pour in the remaining egg white mixture.
- Pour everything into a 10 inch swiss roll tray and bake for 10 – 15mins.
- For the filling, Whisk the whipped cream until it is stiff.
- Once the cake has cooled, roll it with the filling.
- Let this sit in the fridge for an hour and you are ready to serve!
For more inspiration on how to cook with our kale, visit our recipes page.